Here are three easy recipes you can make to level up your immune health so the likelihood of succumbing to illness is much smaller.
1. A Heart (and Body) Warming Immune-Boosting Soup
- ¼ cup red kidney beans
- 2 cm freshly grated ginger
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup sliced skiitake mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable or natural chicken stock
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1/2/cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped red capsicum
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup miso paste (soybean extract) (I don’t always use this)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1/4/ cup chopped coriander
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Soak the kidney beans overnight, discard the water and simmer in the stock with ginger for 2 hours.
- Sauté garlic, onion, carrots and capsicum in a pan with the olive oil for a few minutes then add to the bean/stock mixture and simmer for another hour.
- Remove pot from the heat, add miso and herbs and a few slices of raw garlic.
- Stir and serve. Enjoy!
Tip: For a quicker soup use tinned kidney beans that have been rinsed very well, then add into soup in the last 10 minutes of simmering.
2. Punchy Green Smoothie
- A cup of leafy greens such as baby or English spinach or kale
- Quarter of an avocado
- Half a cup of frozen blueberries
- One banana
- Half a lemon
- Half a tsp grated ginger
- A cup of coconut water or water
Mix in a blender or nutribullet and enjoy!
3. Warming Cold-Fighting Tea
- 2cm fresh ginger
- Boiling water
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Pinch of ground cinnamon and/or turmeric
- Grate or slice ginger and put in a teapot with boiling water, let steep for 3-4 minutes
- Add lemon juice and raw honey
- Add cinnamon and/or turmeric for extra warmth